Friday, May 13, 2011

Vegetable Soup



Lately I've been trying to come up with supper ideas that will feed us for more than just one meal. The first thing that popped into my head was soup. Soups are great for meal stretching. Vegetable soup is a delicious, economical way to not only stretch a meal, but your budget as well. It's also a great way to use up those veggies that are wilting and have seen better days, but aren't ready to be thrown out yet. I didn't really follow a recipe for this, so I don't have any links to share. I kind of made it up as I went. It was delicious! It had great flavor. I'll definitely be adding this to my rotation.

You will need

1 carton of chicken broth
3 cans of tomato juice (or v-8)
half of a head of cabbage 
4 medium sized potatoes
2 medium sized carrots
3 stalks of celery celery
1 can of corn (do not drain)
1 small bag of frozen veggies
2 cups of water (not pictured)

Wash and peel your potatoes and carrots. Then roughly chop your celery, potatoes, carrots and cabbage like so:

In my opinion, a vegetable soup should be a hearty rustic looking meal, and I love having chunks of veggies in each bite.

Next, pour your liquid into a large stock pot. I call mine my gumbo pot :)

Add all of your vegetables to the pot and season with salt and pepper. I also added some granulated garlic because I can't cook anything without it!

Bring your soup to a boil and reduce your heat. Let it simmer until everything is cooked through and tender. I let mine simmer for about 2 hours then left it on low until it was time to eat.


And you're finished! Serve it with a nice hunk of French bread or another nice crusty bread and you've got a cost efficient, delicious meal!

1 comment: